Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Okko Golf - Slovakia

On Tuesday I headed up to our newest project in Slovakia, Okko Golf, in Velky Slavkov. The site is near the town of Poprad and at the foot of the Velky Tatry (High Tatras). What a beautiful view to the mountains from the site. (I will insert a photo here once I learn to do that)
My wife Daniela and our Dog, Kali, went along with me on this trip. The purpose of the visit was to walk the routing of the 18 hole course, to finalize locations for golf bungalows, the exact placement for the clubhouse, and review options for a 6-9 hole golf academy.

It was a fantastic day, besides the 30mph wind gust coming down the mountain slopes. That is the prevailing wind, not usually as strong, but it is always there. During the walk around I determined that we needed to shorten a few holes facing the mountains and lengthen a few running away from the mountains. It was pretty evident from the first hole (360 meter Par 4 facing the highest peak in the range, Gerlachovský Peak. It is now about 335-340 meters).
At the end of the day we accomplished everything we set out to do. The clubhouse has been situated, the bungalows are arranged, the course has been minorly altered (mostly to ease it up a bit), and we have 2-3 concepts for the golf academy.

I hope to get some images uploaded soon to share. My next visit to the site is on the 20th of April with building architects.

No comments: