Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Oxmoor Country Club

Oxmoor Country Club holds a dear place in my heart. When I lived in Kentucky and first started my golf course construction and consultation business I had plenty of work. Too much work at first, and I made some stupid decisions because of being overworked. It was during this time I stepped back and returned to course maintenance to get refocused on why I enjoy golf course design, construction and management…it has always been that love of the game, the smell of the grass, watching dirt being shaped and slowly turn from brown to green. To this day, watching sprinklers turn on in the early dew morning gives my chills. I remembered all this while I worked at Oxmoor as a crew leader, and landscape design consultant. I only stayed on for a short time, but that time really allowed me to get refocused.

While at the course I did several design proposals for the Superintendent, David Sullivan. There were many issues facing the course; safety, leaking ponds, bunkers needing reshaped, trees needing removal, among other things. I really wanted to implement these changes, but lack of budget and time always won out.

Well, i finally got the chance to look at the course again last year. For now, it is just a one hole redesign. The 15th, a medium length Par 4 with many problems, but that is for the next post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Branden, just to let know that Oxmoor is now debt free. So no more worries about the course being sold and used for other purposes!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful to hear! I look forward to getting up there to see it again soon.